About a week ago I was approached by SkinnyPop about- you guessed it- popcorn (brand name kind of gave it away there). Basically, SkinnyPop want to know what flavours I think would compliment the natural taste of popcorn the best. The brand make popcorn that is preservative, artificial flavour, GMO, trans fat and gluten plus dairy free. I love the idea of minimal ingredients in my popcorn, but also big flavours. The best flavour combos that various bloggers come up with are the ones that SkinnyPop get will be getting made into recipe cards. Seems like fun, and right now my competitive streak is showing…
You’ll only need to grab a few ingredients for this recipe, as its very much a throw-it-all-in snack, perfect for a movie night. Feel free to eat the entirety of the final product, but I gave this to my dad and even he said it was very rich due to the dark chocolate and coconut, so we split it in two. Depending on which dark chocolate you use this is veggie/vegan suitable as we aren’t using butter, but coconut oil for a bit more of a coconut hit. Let me know what flavour combos you would want to see in popcorn below (I might have to make a couple of popcorn snack posts in the future. Preferably featuring peanut butter).
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 packet SkinnyPop Naturally Sweet Popcorn
- 1dsp* melted coconut oil
- 1.5tsp desiccated coconut
- 1tsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 10g dark chocolate, very finely chopped, or chocolate chips
- 1 pinch sea salt, or pink Himalayan salt if you’re feeling fancy (this cuts through the sweetness. I know sweet/salt isn’t for everyone, but I HIGHLY recommend it).
*dsp= desert spoonful (roughly 7.5g)
- Grab your popcorn and throw it into a bowl. Sprinkle on the cocoa or cacao, and toss it up.
- Pour on the coconut oil, followed immediately by the desiccated coconut. Toss again.
- Final step. Throw the dark chocolate over the popcorn, sprinkle on the salt to taste, toss it all up one final time…
- …and dig in.