It’s nearly Pancake Day!! Even if I don’t go out for pancakes (a LOT of cafés and restaurants seem to do Pancake Day up here in Newcastle), or even if I don’t actually get around to making Pancakes on Shrove Tuesday (Tuesdays are busy days for me), I always HAVE to have pancakes at some point on the run up to this day. However, I find pancakes don’t usually fill me up for long, and so I wanted to create a recipe that was healthy, filling, simple, inexpensive, and delicious. Because lets face it, those “pancakes” that are just egg and banana are pretty damn gross. These though, are fluffy, soft, and definitely pancakes.
We’ve added in another few ingredients than banana and egg here- including some blended up oats for low GI energy release and “fluffiness”, vanilla for sweetness, almond milk for creaminess, cinnamon to balance blood sugar and add some warmth, and – of course- some “Nutella”. Though I’m actually using Jim Jam’s healthier alternative, of a hazelnut- chocolate spread. Seriously, I prefer this to Nutella. It’s still got a rich cocoa – hazelnut flavour, but it isn’t as sickly. However, I wouldn’t say no to a bit of the original either if it was kicking around in my flat, so don’t feel you have to go out of your way to get hold of this.
Let’s get cracking…
Ingredients (makes 6 small pancakes, or 3 large, which is one serving):
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 banana (a RIPE one- which is when they begin to get a few brown spots on them at the very least)
- Cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 heaped tbsp Jim Jam’s Hazelnut Chocolate spread , or Nutella (or, you know, abandon measuring this- it is Pancake Day…)
- Into a blender or food processor place all but the Nutella and half of the banana. Blend until a batter forms
- Bring a pan sprayed with cooking oil up to a medium-high heat, and then dollop the mixture in to create your pancakes, flipping each pancake over and cooking the other side once small bubbles appear on the surface facing you.
- Repeat until all of the mixture has been used.
- Take the remaining banana and slice into chunks. Stack your pancakes with Nutella and banana slices while they’re still hot, and then dig in…