Omelettes are pretty much my go-to quick and easy staple meal. I’m in late: omelette. Not much in the fridge: omelette. Something quick: omelette. Something I can throw into a tub: omelette. You get the gist.
But can’t omelettes tend to get a little bit…boring? Well, yes, if you don’t play with different flavours occasionally. So, below I have 21 omelette ideas for you- vegetarian, pescetarian, and carnivore options, plus some sweet omelettes that make a great weekend brunch.
I’m giving you the basic omelette recipe below as a starting point, and then the quantities of the ingredients you’ll need for each flavour. Simply fold the ingredients up into the middle of the omelette, or whisk them into the eggs- the choice is yours. If you have an egg-cellent (sorry) omelette combination, then write it in the comments below…
- 2-3 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- Optional seasonings: salt, white, and black pepper for savoury. Cinnamon and 1.2tsp vanilla essence for sweet. (if any seasonings are specified in a recipe then add them along with these!)
Whisk the eggs and the seasoning together, then spray a pan with cooking oil and place over a medium- high heat. Pour the eggs in and swirl around the pan. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, add the filling, fold, and dig in.
And now, the flavour combinations…
- Spinach, mushroom, red onion – 1 handful wilted spinach, 1/2 cooked red onion, 1 handful sliced lightly cooked mushrooms
- Goats cheese, red onion, courgette– 30g goats cheese, 1/2 cooked red onion, 1 medium courgette, sliced and cooked
- Spinach & Ricotta– 2 large handfuls of spinach, wilted, and 2-3tbsp ricotta
- Feta, olives, red onion, tomatoes– 30 g crumbled feta, 10 olives each chopped in half, 1/2 cooked red onion, small handful cherry tomatoes each chopped in half
- Chilli, garlic, mushrooms, spinach– 1/2 large red chilli, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 small handful sliced lightly cooked mushrooms, 1 handful of spinach- all cooked together in a pan beforehand
- Quorn sausage, kidney bean, mushroom, chilli & tomato– 2 cooked Quorn sausages chopped into chunks, 1/2 can kidney beans that you’ve drained and rinsed (VERY important you do this- its the bubbles that appear upon rinsing that give most people gas, not the beans themselves!), 1 handful lightly cooked mushrooms, 1/2 red chilli, 2 large tomatoes chopped into chunks
- Avocado & tomato– 1/2 large ripe avocado- mashed up, 2 large tomatoes sliced into rounds (I’d really recommend spreading this over the omelette and then folding)
- Pea, avocado, asparagus, mushroom & garlic– 1/4 cup peas, 1/2 an avocado, 5 cooked asparagus spears, 1 handful sliced mushrooms cooked with 1 crushed garlic clove
- Smoked salmon & cream cheese– 100g smoked salmon, 30g cream cheese (again I’d spread this onto the omelette before folding
- Tuna, red bell pepper, garden peas– 1 can tuna, 1/2 bell pepper, 1/4 cup peas
- Smoked salmon, broccoli, olives– 100g smoked salmon, small handful of cooked broccoli florets, 10 olives each halved
- Mixed seafood, tomato, onion & chilli– 1/2 packet cooked mixed seafood, small handful of cherry tomatoes each halved, 1/2 cooked onion, 1/2 red chilli
- Smoked ham, mushroom & cheese– 2 slices smoked ham, 1 handful lightly cooked mushrooms, 30g grated cheese
- Ham, tomato, cheese, mushroom- 2 slices smoked ham, 2 chopped tomatoes, 30g cheese, 1 handful lightly cooked sliced mushrooms
- Chicken, peppers, onion & smoked paprika– 2 slices chicken breast, 1/2 bell pepper, 1/2 cooked onion, 1tsp smoked paprika
- Sausage, mushroom, red onion & spinach– 1-2 cooked sausages chopped into chunks, 1 handful lightly cooked sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cooked red onion, 1 handful spinach
For each of these you’re best folding the fillings in when you fold the omelette up. I also plan on making some of these as individual posts so I’ll add the links as I do so!
- Raspberries & cottage cheese– there’s an actual recipe right here
- Banana & nutella– 1 ripe sliced banana, 2tbsp nutella
- Strawberries & nutella– 150g sliced strawberries, 2tbsp nutella
- Hot apple & almond butter “cream”- 1 apple sliced and microwaved for 1 minute until tender, 50g greek yoghurt + 1tsp maple syrup + 2tsp chia seeds + 1tbsp smooth almond butter, all mixed together to make the “cream”.
- Pear & chocolate– 1 pear sliced and microwaved for 1 minute until tender, EITHER 2tbsp nutella, or 30g of your favourite chocolate, melted