I don’t know about you, but some days I have about one million things to do, and need to be out of the house as fast as humanly possible- but I’m not someone to skip breakfast. Especially around this time of year, when my brain needs to be working at full power to complete my assessments. When those days are on the horizon, then I make sure that I’ve prepared some overnight oats. These oats are perfect for those mornings.
This particular flavour is for anyone who happens to be a fan of Italian desserts. Specifically, tiramisu. That mixture of cream, coffee, chocolate, and a nip of rum is perfect every time. Don’t worry though- I’m not planning on getting you tipsy before a lecture or an important meeting. Whilst you can use a rum flavouring, I actually like to use an almond essence and a little vanilla. These ingredients are my personal preference, but feel free to opt for the rum. We’re also using oats to keep you full of energy, yoghurt for protein (you can always sub in almond, coconut, or soya yoghurt if you’re intolerant/allergic to dairy, or vegan), we have chia seeds for your omegas, coffee to perk you up, and raspberries for one of your 5 a day. If you do have the time, then these look impressive layered in a glass, as shown above.
Simply throw into a pot, chill overnight, and bring along in a cool bag. Don’t forget the spoon…
- 1/2 cup porridge oats
- 1/4 cup EACH of unsweetened almond milk, and Greek yoghurt (I use a super-thick 0% Greek yoghurt)
- 1tsp chia seeds
- 1/2tsp instant coffee granules
- 1/8tsp EACH almond essence, vanilla essence
- 80g raspberries
- Cacao or cocoa to dust
- In a bowl mix together the oats, chia seeds, almond milk, and Greek yoghurt until completely combined.
- Now, add in the coffee granules, almond essence, and vanilla essence; stir through the mixture until completed incorporated.
- Grab a glass, bowl, or air-tight container, and begin layering the raspberries and overnight oats. If you’re in a real rush, and presentation isn’t a priority, then skip the layering.
- Once all of the mixture and your raspberries have been used up, then place into the fridge overnight to set. In the morning, lift the oats out, dust with cacao or cocoa- and get a spoon in there…