I can’t believe that this is the last seasonal salad of the year. So I had to make it a good one. And as I mentioned over on IG, this is my favourite salad so far.
Warm salads are something I actually prefer to crisp and cool summer ones- even in summer I like some roasted vegetables (preferably from an actual BBQ) on my lettuce leaves. People massively underrate winter salads though: they can be flavourful, and showcase root veg brilliantly. And, if you’re anything like me, you like spacing out the more indulgent meals of Christmas-time with a few simple (but always tasty) ones as well.
For this salad we’ll be honey-roasting parsnips, and baking tofu in some honey, soy sauce, and ginger. This means that the recipe takes a little more time start-to-finish, but it’s well worth it. Once the veg is in the oven, it all looks after itself anyway…
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 large parsnips, chopped into chunks, and tossed in 1tbsp runny honey in a large mixing bowl
- 200g of firm tofu, chopped into chunks
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 fresh red chilli, finely sliced (leave the seeds in if you like spice, remove if not)
- 2-3 large handfuls of kale
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- Ground ginger, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Begin by preheating the oven to 200*c, and lining two baking trays with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray, and set one to one side.
- Empty the parsnip chunks onto the tray you’re kept, cover with more foil, and place into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Whilst the parsnip cooks: place the tofu chunks into the dish that previously held the parsnips, add in the soy sauce, and sprinkle in the ginger and black pepper. Toss to coat, and then allow to sit; this means that the tofu will also soak up the residual honey as well as the other flavours.
- With 25 minutes left on the timer, place the tofu onto the other tray, and transfer to the oven as well.
- With 15 minutes to go chuck the onion and chilli onto the same tray as the tofu. With just a couple of minutes to go simply microwave the kale until slightly wilted, and then empty into a large bowl. When the oven timer goes off, place the parsnips, tofu, onion, and chilli into the same bowl and toss together.
- Divide between two plates (or keep a portion in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch), add some black pepper- and dig in…