It’s that time of year. Am I jumping the gun a bit? If I am, I blame my Starbucks app, which conveniently notified me that the pumpkin spice latte was back. Damn you starbucks.
I have a confession to make before we go any further: I’ve never actually had a pumpkin spice latte. I know what they smell like, I know what they look like- but I haven’t been able to talk myself into trying one. I hate sweeteners in my coffee, I’m a cappuccino/Americano kinda girl, not a latte drinker, I hate whipped cream on coffee- and so the idea of pumpkin flavoured syrup, stirred into a latte, and topped with cream, doesn’t appeal to me. Perhaps this year I’ll finally bite the bullet and try one though- possibly wasting my precious coffee fund in the process. But hey, life is all about risks.
What I do know is that this Pumpkin Spice Latte Smoothie is amazing. It’s got actually pumpkin in it for starters. It has a subtle coffee taste, some spices, little bit of natural sweetness, and provides two of your 5 a day. Think of it as the healthier, more pumpkin rich, version of the pumpkin spice Frappuccino. That you can legitimately have for breakfast.
So, if you are a pumpkin spice fan, give this alternative a go and let me know what you think. And while we’re on it: should I finally try the pumpkin spice latte? Comment below if you have tried it (I get the feeling I’ll be in the minority here).
- 1/2 strong filter coffee, chilled
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (NOT the sweetened stuff, the 100% pumpkin stuff. I bought Libby’s 100% Pumpkin from Tesco)
- 200ml unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 1tsp maple syrup
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp ginger
- 1 good pinch nutmeg
- 1 small pinch of mixed spice
- Throw everything into the blender, liquids first to lubricate the blades, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, add a straw, and enjoy…