I eat a lot of banana bread. If I make a loaf of banana bread, it is gone in one week flat. And so I’ve experimented with several different variations of banana bread- including my Hunky Monkey Banana Bread (chocolate, hazelnut, and banana. Recipe right here: https://ecstaticallyem.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/hunky-monkey-banana-bread-chocolate-hazelnut-banana/ ). I’ve even made banana bread style muffins with banana, pecan, and maple flavour (recipe right here: https://ecstaticallyem.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/maple-pecan-butter-banana-blender-muffins/ ). Check both of these out, because I’m sure that you’ll love them.
But today we’re going all tropical (it is meant to be summer after all), with some banana and pineapple bread. This still tastes like a lovely, soft banana bread- but with a fruitier undertone , and with some pineapple kicks in the shape of chunks of that delicious fruit. And don’t worry- no fancy ingredients required: canned pineapple works just fine, and its what I opted for here.
This loaf freezes wonderfully, and can be defrosted when you need banana bread pronto. It’s delicious warm with a scoop of fro-yo or icecream, or toasted for breakfast. My freezer shelf is packed with it.
Lets get going…
Ingredients (makes 10-12 slices)
- 1 banana, a super ripe large one, mashed until smooth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup packed of pineapple chunks, plus 2tbsp pineapple juice from the can
- 1/4 cup pineapple chunks, chopped into smaller pieces
- 1/3 cup runny honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 1/4tsp salt
- 3/4tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch each of cinnamon, and ginger
- First things first: [preheat the oven to 190*c, and grease and line two 1lb loaf tins.
- Now we’re going to make some pineapple puree. Blend the 1/4 cup of pineapple with the 2tbsp juice, and empty into a bowl.
- Into this same bowl add the banana, almond milk, honey, egg, and vanilla. Whisk together.
- In another bowl combine the flour, oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and beat together. Pour into the prepared loaf tins, and whack them into the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Once baked run a palette knife along the edge of the loaf tin to loosen the banana and pineapple bread, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool. Once cooled slice and serve or store in a tub for up to 3 days- or serve slightly warm with a dollop of yoghurt, or a scoop of ice-cream, and some more pineapple…