I’m not entirely sure when French toast became a thing here in the UK, but it most definitely is. Literally every brunch spot I walk into now does French toast. So I decided it was time for me to jump onto the band wagon…
Today I have an incredibly easy and healthy take on French toast, that is perfect if you want a lazy Sunday brunch, or even to refuel after the gym. Though you prepare the almond & chia “cream” -think a super thick, rich chia pudding- the night before, this dish still only requires minimal prep and cooking time. It’s got a good balance of carbs (your bread and the pear), fats (the chia seeds and almond butter), and protein (the chia seeds, almond butter, yoghurt, and the egg whites)- plus one of your 5 a day (the pear, again). Using a minimal amount of oil to fry the toast also keeps it leaner than the deep fried, and maple syrup drenched, versions you’ll find in restaurants- although do feel free to add a cheeky drizzle of maple syrup if you feel like it…
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1tsp runny honey
- 1 large pear, sliced
- 2tbsp natural, or Greek, yoghurt
- 1tbsp almond butter
- 2tsp chia seeds
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Before we get on with the toast, make your almond & chia cream: combine the yoghurt, chia seeds, honey, and the almond butter in a small bowl, then place into the fridge to chill overnight.
- Once you’re ready for your French toast whisk together the egg and milk in a large bowl.
- Place a pan onto a medium/high heat, and add some spray oil/coconut oil/olive oil. Allow this to heat up while completing the next step…
- Soak one slice of bread in the egg mixture, and then carefully sluice off any residue, before placing into the pan. Sprinkle cinnamon onto the one side of the bread whilst it cooks, then flip and repeat.
- While your toast is getting a suntan, take a microwavable dish, and chuck in the pear slices, along with 1tbsp water. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, until the pear slices are tender.
- When both slices of the French toast are golden transfer it to a plate, and then top the toast with the pear, and the almond-chia cream. Dig in…