It’s now that time of year when I walk around the area surrounding my flat, and sulk over the fact that we don’t have a garden to barbeque in. We’ve had fantastic weather recently, and to me that means I should have some coals burning somewhere to welcome in summer. However, this recipe is basically the next best thing.
A little while ago now Meridian kindly sent me three of their new squeezy syrups, and I’ve been experimenting with the maple one in a few savoury dishes. Possibly the best to come out it is this marinade, and my Maple & Mustard Chickpea Mash (link right here: http://ecstaticallyem.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/mustard-maple-chickpea-mash.html ). This marinade is ridiculously easy to whip up, and then you simply leave your chosen meat soaking in it overnight, and cook the next day. I opted for salmon, but you could easily substitute in chicken, or marinate tofu in it. The smoked paprika gives whatever you marinate that BBQ taste, the cayenne and mustard give it punch, the lemon some zestiness, and the maple syrup adds sweetness, as well as caramelising as it cooks. So, for everyone whose landlord won’t let them barbeque indoors, this one is for you…
Ingredients (marinates 1-2 servings of salmon)
- 2tsp mustard (I used wholegrain)
- 1.5-2tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper and salt, to taste
- 1 large pinch of cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- In a jug combine the above ingredients, and whisk together. Place your salmon into a dish and pour the marinade over, making sure that you cover the entire surface. Cover, and place into the fridge overnight.
- Once you’re ready to get cooking, preheat your oven to 200*c, and grab some foil. Place the foil onto a baking tray, place your salmon onto the foil (pouring the residual marinade over it), and then wrap loosely.
- Place into the oven for 30 minutes, uncovering for the final 10 minutes, to allow the marinade to caramelise slightly.
- Serve with your chosen sides, or in a massive salad, and enjoy.