This month we have another warm salad. And as usual, it’s super quick and simple. From this month’s seasonal produce I’ve chosen to make use of new potatoes, pomegranate seeds, crab, and spring greens. If you can be bothered/ can afford it, then feel free to use fresh crab meat in place of canned, but using canned does successfully cut out much faffing around with knifes and shells.
Crab has a sweet, delicate taste to it, and so only a few key flavours are required here- otherwise you’ll find the meat overpowered. A creamy dressing made of Greek yoghurt is a simple backdrop, but still good for you. In fact, if you’re ever making a potato salad or coleslaw, try swapping the sour cream or mayo for Greek yoghurt with lemon juice- you may find that you prefer it. Lemon and pomegranate work well with the sweetness of the crab, as they’re a little sharper than most fruit, and using new potatoes instead of sweet potato also means that the crab still stands out (although feel free to play around with sweet potato in this too).
For more seasonal ingredients take a look at this link: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/seasonal-calendar/month/april , and have fun making up some of your own seasonal recipes.
- 4 new potatoes
- 2tbsp pomegranate seeds, plus extra for topping
- 1 can of crab meat, drained
- 2 handfuls of spring greens
- 2tbsp thick Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 lemon’s juice
- 4-5 mint leaves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chop the new potatoes into small chunks, and place into a pan filled with boiling water. Cook until tender (approximately 15 minutes). Once boiled, drain and transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Place the spring greens into a microwavable dish and microwave on full power until wilted.
- To the mixing bowl add the crab, the pomegranate seeds, spring greens, Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Tear up half of the mint and add this too. Fold together until well combined.
- Plate the salad up, adding another wedge of lemon if desired. Scatter with more mint and pomegranate seeds, and enjoy…