We’re in March already, and that means another seasonal salad. This month we’re using spring onions, spring greens, salmon, and orange. For more information on what ingredients are in season, I have link for you right here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/seasons/march. Alongside these we’ll be using ingredients you can pick up in a supermarket all year round, for a really easy meal in minutes.
This salad uses a couple of shortcuts in the microwave lentils and the pre-cooked hot smoked salmon, because a) I don’t know how to smoke salmon and b) ain’t nobody got time for that if they did. But don’t worry, if you really want to make this completely from scratch (I doubt many of you will when short cuts are on offer), then simply preheat a grill to high and grill a salmon fillet for 15 minutes, and cook 1/4 cup of dried lentils according to packet instructions. You can, of course, leave out the chilli if you don’t like it spicy, or use fresh chilli if you want to turn up the heat a bit more…
- 1 packet smoked salmon, roughly 100g
- 1/2 large orange
- 1 large handful spring greens
- 1/2 sachet microwave puy lentils
- 1 spring onion
- 1/4tsp hot chilli powder
- Black pepper
- OPTIONAL: A few leaves of each mint and basil (I keep herb plants in my kitchen, and although not necessarily seasonal, they do work really well in this)
- Slice the spring onion thinly, and then mix into the spring greens along with your chilli powder. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Next up, place the puy lentils into the microwave, and heat on full power for 1-2 minutes.
- Chop the orange into chunks, and along with the lentils, stir into the spring greens.
- Add black pepper, and the smoked salmon, and toss everything together.
- Serve up, and enjoy…