If you read my monthly favourites, then you’ll know that I have been all over dried apple rings recently- more specifically, the ones from Holland and Barrett’s. But sometimes I like to make things for myself, or at least have a go. And to be honest, these apple rings look after themselves once they’re in the oven, following minimal prep. They make a great pre-workout, or on-the-go snack, and have a wonderful chewy and naturally sweet thing going on. Simply grab some apples of choice, some optional spices, and a baking tray…
Ingredients (makes 3 servings)
- Preheat the oven to 120*c, and grab a non-stick baking tray.
- Cut your apple in half, and remove the core from each half, then turn the apple so the flat side is down on the work surface, and cut into equal sized slices. I keep them fairly chunky, about the thickness of the very end joint of your little finger. It isn’t an exact science. If you have a mandolin slicer then have some fun using that though.
- Place in one layer onto the baking tray, and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
- Now, throw them into the oven and set the timer for 1 hour. After this hour is up, turn the slices over, and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before placing into resealable bags. Store for up to three days.