Porridge is an amazing breakfast as it is, but the added protein will keep you fuller for longer, and is great for assisting with muscle repair post workout- although you don’t have to save it for purely after the gym.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup boiled water
- 1/4 cup coconut rice milk or unsweetened almond milk (I use Alpro or Blue Diamond, and prefer the almond milk)
- 2 large egg whites
- Fruit of choice – I used pear and berries, so we’ll work with that, and you can sub in what you like.
- OPTIONAL: 1tbsp almond (or peanut) butter (optional, but values include almond butter. I use Meridian), chia seeds, cinnamon, honey or maple syrup
- Begin by chopping the pear into chunks, and add half to the pan, along with the cinnamon, oats, milk and boiled water.
- Bring up to a simmer, and stir continuously over a low heat.
- When the oats have absorbed the liquid and thickened to your liking, add in the egg white. Stir constantly to avoid scrambled eggs. Once incorporated (when there is not uncooked transparent egg in there- no one wants food poisoning), throw the chia seeds if adding them. Fold in and then remove your oats from the heat.
- Empty into a bowl, top with the remaining fruit and nut butter or honey/maple syrup(if desired), then dig in…