Since full blown autumn is now here I have admittedly been hitting you all with an influx of pumpkin recipes (as you may have noticed). This one is a super quick and easy breakfast (or even lunch) for you all. I know the name says “chia”, but feel free to omit these- I know not all of us have an unrivalled love of Holland and Barrett’s and their penny sales.
Apple and pumpkin though, it’s a combination that works fantastically well. Earthy pumpkin with the ginger and cinnamon and nutmeg you’ll be adding, and sweet crunchy apple. All wrapped up in a creamy protein packed mixture of oats and Greek yoghurt. The raspberries you see on top are 100% optional, but they do look very attractive against the orange of the pumpkin, and taste great. I’m sure that you’ll all enjoy this one…
- 40g porridge oats (the proper ones, not the instant sachets)
- 100g canned pumpkin puree (I used Libby’s. Just make sure whatever you get is 100% pumpkin with nothing added)
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- 1 medium apple, chopped into chunks
- 100g thick Greek yoghurt (if you’re vegan then don’t hesitate to use a substitute: I would perhaps use a soya or coconut based yoghurt)
- Ginger and cinnamon, to taste (I used just under 1/4tsp of each)
- 50ml plant based milk (I used Alpro coconut)
- Place half of the chopped apple into the microwave until tender, then throw into a bowl.
- Into this same bowl add the rest of the apple, the oats, the yoghurt, the spices, milk, and pumpkin. Mix together well, until completely combined.
- Fold in the chia seeds, distributing them evenly throughout, then tip the mixture into your chosen dish, and place into the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, grab as you run out of the door, and enjoy.