Need a healthy meal in under 15 minutes? One that wards off the freshman 15, but also feels comforting and tastes delicious? Then try this one out. You’ll get at least one of your 5 a day, and a warm, filling, and comforting meal for one- which means your flatmates can’t nab any of it…
- 2 Quorn sausages
- 1/4 cup red split lentils
- 1/2 cup water
- 50g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 handful spinach
- 5 button mushrooms, each chopped in half
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 red chilli, finely sliced
- 2tbsp tomato puree + 1tbsp water
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, chopped into chunks
- 1-2tsp dried Italian herbs
- Black and white pepper, to taste
- Begin by cooking the lentils. Bring 1/2 cup water to the boil in a small pan, and then add your lentils. Reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook for roughly 5 minutes.
- In another pan sauté the onion, chilli, and garlic until lightly cooked. Throw the broccoli into the pan, along with a tiny bit of water to steam it. After 1-2 minutes, throw in the pepper and mushrooms. Take your lentils and toss into the pan with the veggies. Mix together the tomato puree and 1tbsp water, then add this along with the herbs and other seasoning. Stir it all together over a medium-low heat.
- Preheat the grill to high and cook the sausages according to packet instructions TIP! Want to cook those sausages faster? Microwave those sausages until warm to the touch, turning over occasionally and keeping a close eye on them. This means they’ll be hot in the middle. THEN place under the grill for 5 minutes until crisp on the outside.
- Add the spinach to the veggie pan and allow to wilt, then plate up. Place your sausages on top (or even chop them into chunks and stir through) and dig in…