I have for you all a recipe that combines some of my all time favourite things: spices, avocado, chickpeas, and pitta bread. It is easy, delicious, portable, summer appropriate, low fat, the filling is vegan friendly (the whole recipe can be completely vegan friendly depending on which bread you choose), and it is ready in a matter of minutes.
It could just be my new favourite lunch…
- 1 wholemeal pitta bread
- 1/2 can drained chickpeas
- 1 tomato
- 1 piece of cucumber, roughly the length of the top part of your thumb
- 1/2 avocado
- Pinch salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2tsp lemon juice
- 1/2tsp medium curry powder
- 1/2- 3/4tsp hot chilli powder
- Lettuce, to serve
- OPTIONAL: chopped basil
- Divide the chickpeas in half; empty one half (a quarter of the whole tin) into a large bowl. Set the other half (another 1/4 tin) to one side.
- To the chickpeas in the bowl add 1/2 an avocado, and mash together thoroughly. You still want some chunks though, not a paste.
- Chop the tomato and the cucumber into pieces and add to the mixture, along with the lemon juice and the seasonings. Mix thoroughly to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Fold the whole chickpeas through the mixture.
- Toast the pitta bread, and then carefully cut in half. Stuff the pitta halves with fresh lettuce, and the smashed Indian chickpeas. Alternatively empty the chickpeas into a bowl, sprinkle with the basil, and serve with the pitta and lettuce, so that you can stuff the pitta at your own leisure…