Anyone who follows my IG feed (button on the right people), or reads my blog, will know that one way to tell I am home is an influx of smoothies. And today it was a green, creamy creation. I have had avocado in smoothies from cafés in Newcastle before, and couldn’t wait to replicate this when I got home to my blender. Another ingredient I adore in my summer-time drinks is mint. Combine this with whatever else was floating around in my fridge, and I came up with this “Cool Your Greens” smoothie: creamy, refreshing, sweet, and the perfect reason to get out of bed in the morning. It’s suitable for all of you vegans out there too, depending on what kind of milk you choose to use. You also have the fats from the avocado to keep you fuller for longer; I had this post morning workout and it saw me through until lunch time…
- 50g honey dew melon, chopped into chunks
- 50g cucumber, chopped into chunks
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 150ml almond milk (or any other milk)
- Up to 100ml ice cold water, depending on how thick you like your smoothie
- 1/4 chopped avocado
- 1 banana, sliced up into coins and frozen overnight
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves
- 1 small apple
- Ice to serve, optional
- Throw the melon, cucumber, and avocado chunks into the blender, followed by the frozen banana chunks, the cinnamon and the liquids.
- Blend the mixture until almost smooth (pulse it if the blender is struggling), and then add the mint and the apple. To release more flavour from the mint roll the leaves between your palms, and then tear up before adding to the blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour over ice and enjoy!