Anyone who know me knows I love my fish. Salmon, bream, cod, trout, mackerel, pilchards- and tuna. Lots and lots of tuna. I also love green vegetables: spinach, broccoli, avocado, sugar snaps, kale…there are phases on my IG account where everything looks either green from all of these foods, or orange because I eat so many sweet potatoes, carrots, and citrus fruits. This salad combines the green element and the fish element- and also some spice, because I’m into that sort of thing. It’s quick, easy, student approved, and you can adjust the heat rating. I know I have some spice wimps reading this somewhere.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 80g frozen peas
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 1 beef tomato
- 1 large handful of basil
- 1 small can tuna (you can buy individual serving ones now, or alternatively just use a whole normal sized one- I love tuna, and so would probably do this if I had the normal sized cans)
- Handful of sugar snap peas
- Mixed seasoning, to taste
- Tabasco, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Baby avocado
- 2 Large handfuls of spinach
- First things first place the peas into a pan with some water already boiled (just to speed up the process). Bring the peas to the boil and cook according to packet instructions.
- Whilst the peas are cooking chop the chilli pepper into small pieces, and also chop up the tomato into chunks, and the basil. Once the peas are cooked drain them, and then empty them back into the pan and add in the ingredients you just prepared. Stir those into the peas, and mash them lightly- you still want some whole peas in there. These are great hot, but for this recipe allow them to cool- you can even chill them overnight, which really intensifies the flavour.
- Once the peas are cool you can begin to prep everything else. Place the spinach into a bowl and microwave for literally a few seconds- until just wilted. Set to one side to cool.
- Drain the tuna, and season with the tabasco, and the white pepper. Chop the avocado into chunks, and repeat this step with the sugar snaps.
- Now get assembling your salad: into a tub (or onto a plate) place the spinach, and then pile the peas into the tub, along with the tuna, sugar snaps, and the avocado. I like to add mixed seasoning at this point (mine contains black peppercorns, Italian herbs, and a little sea salt).
- You’re good to go! Enjoy your salad…