Recently I have been loving turning my hand to some simple and delicious vegan recipes. I have no idea how it happened, but I’m finding a whole new world of magical food options out there.
Vegan meals are cheap, nutritious, colourful, and can truly send some serious sparks flying in your mouth. Case study: the beany salad that you see to your right. It’s cheap to make, provides leftovers for another day, is rich in fibre, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. It’s also super simple, and ideal to be packed up for an office/uni/school lunch. I’ll keep this short, sweet, and meat free…
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and well rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 1 baby avocado, very ripe, chopped into pieces
- 1-2 handfuls of pomegranate seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 14 closed cup mushrooms, each chopped into quarters
- 2-3 large handfuls of kale, roughly chopped
- 4 tomatoes, each chopped into six
- 1 large bell pepper (I used red), chopped
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves, finely torn up
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp turmeric
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2tsp hot chilli powder (depending how hot you can handle)
- Mixed seasoning, to taste (mine contains salt, black pepper, and Italian herbs)
- Spray a pan with cooking spray, or add a little oil, and turn up to a high heat. Cook the onion until golden, and then add in the tomatoes, and the pepper, followed by the mushrooms.
- At this point add the turmeric, smoked paprika, and the chilli powder; stir well to ensure everything is coated in the spice mix.
- Cook for 5 minutes more before adding the kale and a splash of water (1tbsp at the most) to steam it in a flash.
- About a minute after this, when the kale is just beginning to wilt, add in the soy sauce. Stir well, and then add in the can of chickpeas, and the can of beans.
- Allow to heat through for up to 5 minutes, until the beans are piping hot.
- Serve with a scattering of basil, pomegranate seeds, avocado chunks, and mixed seasoning. Alternatively, allow the salad to cool and transfer into tubs. When you need it, then top with the basil, pomegranate seeds, avocado, and seasoning- pack up and enjoy wherever you’re headed you lovely vegan, you…