Sometimes we all need a little pick-me-up in the morning. Some of us more than others. For those days when you know that you have an early start, and need to be awake I recommend these: supercharged monkey oats. A beautiful combination of peanut butter, banana, and coffee to perk you up as you stumble blearily out of bed. My instant coffee was a recent purchase from Whittard’s, and has a chocolate-coffee flavour. I bought it assuming it would be similar to a mocha: it was not. But it does work well here. Not to worry if you can’t get chocolate flavour instant coffee though, regular will do just fine, although I do recommend it for this recipe. I even topped mine with three dark chocolate covered coffee beans for that final little good mood educing flourish…
- 1 banana (make sure it is ripe. Yellow doesn’t mean ripe; brown spots means ripe)
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup unflavoured frommage frais, Greek yoghurt, or natural yoghurt
- 1/4 cup water just off the boil
- 1/2 tsp chocolate flavoured instant coffee
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 prunes (feel free to omit these, but they do add texture and sweetness)
- 3 dark chocolate covered coffee beans (again, these are optional)
- 1 1/2tsp smooth peanut butter (feel free to use crunchy instead)
- Make up the coffee using 1/4 cup of lukewarm water (so as not to scald the coffee and create a bitter flavour. We don’t want that; it could ruin your morning), and then set to one side.
- In a bowl mash 3/4 of the banana. Once fairly smooth stir in 1/2tsp peanut butter, and then add the coffee.
- Into the same bowl add the oats, stir, and then add the frommage frais, followed by the cinnamon. Combine all these ingredients, before chopping the three prunes into pieces and folding into the mixture.
- Empty the oat mix into a small bowl and place into a fridge overnight, or for up to 24 hours.
- In the morning top the oats with the remaining banana, 1tsp peanut butter, and those dark chocolate coffee beans if you feel like it…