As a student currently searching for houses- and so having to balance multiple house viewings with lectures, seminars, study groups, working out, writing essays, writing blog posts, cleaning, cooking, washing, shopping and then lugging said shopping back home uphill on foot, having a social life, and also eating- I know how important it is to be out of the door on time, and organised to boot. My staple breakfast for those mornings when every minute counts is overnight oats- in multiple flavours. This particular flavour combination could become a favourite. Forget the artificial ‘strawberry-banana’ flavour of childhood smoothies and other edible goods; here it works. The spices and walnuts mean that this combination feels slightly more sophisticated- definitely suitable for any students, or working guys and gals needing to run out of the door in the morning…
- 1/4 cup porridge oats (the proper ones, not the instant stuff)
- 1/4 cup low fat frommage frais (feel free to use Greek yoghurt, but this gives a lovely texture and flavour)
- 3 large strawberries, chopped (reserve some for decoration)
- 1 medium banana, sliced into coins
- 1/4tsp cinnamon
- 1/4tsp ginger
- 10g walnuts, roughly chopped (this is the maximum amount I would use, so feel free to use less if desired)
- In a bowl place the oats and the spices; stir to incorporate.
- Mash half of the banana coins into these oats, leaving some chunks for texture, before adding in the frommage frais and stirring to combine.
- Fold the chopped strawberry pieces into the oats, reserving some strawberry pieces for decoration. Following this add in all but a few pieces of walnut, and again stir until evenly distributed.
- Empty this mixture into a small bowl, decorate with the banana and strawberry pieces remaining, some roughly chopped walnut pieces, and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Place into the fridge overnight to thicken, and in the morning enjoy a breakfast requiring minimal effort…