The first thing that ran through my head on lifting these out of the fridge was just how spring-like they look. The flush of pink, the red of the apple, and that sprig of basil perched on top (completely optional people)…they are the perfect “welcome-back-to-longer-days-and-lighter-mornings” gift. To yourself. They are incredibly easy to make, flavourful, cheap, are one of you “5 a day”, great at filling you up on those mornings you have to eat and run. So, with that said, to the recipe…
- 1/4 cup porridge oats
- 1/4 cup frommage frais
- Splash of cold water, if required
- Ground cinnamon and ginger, to taste (I like quite a lot)
- 1 handful of fresh raspberries
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 10g walnuts
- Place the apple chunks into a microwavable dish, and microwave on full power for approximately 1 minute, until they soften slightly. Place to one side to cool slightly.
- Combine the spices (if you choose to add them), and the oats in a separate bowl.
- To this add half of the raspberries, crushing them to release the juices.
- Stir in the frommage frais, and half of the walnuts. If the mixture is forming one large ball or oaty mess, then add a splash of cold water- just a little- and stir until it slackens.
- By this time your apple should have cooled enough to add to the mixture- don’t worry if it’s still a little warm. I was in a rush when making these, and it didn’t have any adverse effects on the finished product. So fold that apple in! To this add the remaining raspberries, keeping a few back for decoration.
- Empty the contents of your dish into a smaller bowl, and then top with the raspberries you kept back, and the remaining walnuts. If you fancy being extra flourish-y then sprinkle some cinnamon on top too.
- Place the oats into the fridge overnight, and tuck in the next morning…