However, this time of year blueberries appear to be on offer, and so what better way to use them than to create a summer version of those autumnal flavours? I think the blueberries give this breakfast a little lift and some lightness to match those summer days; the recipe would also work well with raspberries.
This recipe is very simple, very quick and can be grabbed as you leave the house. It’s rich in flavour, filling, and healthy. Lets get started then…
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup low fat Greek yoghurt
- Splash of cold water, if required
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 1/4tsp ground ginger
- small pinch of nutmeg
- 2 prunes, chopped
- 1/2tsp runny honey
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1 handful blueberries
- Begin by placing the apple into a microwavable dish and cooking on full power in the microwave until just softened.
- Combine all the spices and the oats in a separate bowl, and then add the Greek yoghurt, and stir well. If the mixture is too thick, then add just a splash of cold water.
- Add the prunes to the mix, all of the honey and half the blueberries, crushing some of them to release the juices.
- Fold the apple chunks into the oats, and then empty into a small bowl, topping off with the remaining blueberries.
- Place this dish into the fridge (covered) overnight, and in the morning enjoy an effortlessly delicious breakfast…